Good news! We just released an Android Version of txtmyt. No more Human verifications captcha! download it HERE.

Yummy ermilk Biscuits(For Valentines Day)

edited February 2013 in Food & Recipes
Ingredients

1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (or 2/3 cup whole wheat flour plus 1/3 cup wheat germ and/or ground flax seed)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt (or half as much table salt)
6 tablespoons er (3/4 stick; I use salted), cut into small pieces
1 cup ermilk (you can, DM says, use plain milk instead and omit the baking soda, but I've never tried that)

Directions

Heat the oven to 450ºF and er a large cookie sheet.
Now mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl or food processor, and add the rest of the er to create an uneven mix of sandy crumbs, with some pea-sized clumps of er still kicking around. You can do this by hand too, and that's what I used to do: just add the er, and toss to coat it with the flour mixture, then take off your rings and use your fingertips to rub the er into the dry ingredients. This is a messy but not unpleasant job: you'll be lifting handfuls of the mixture up out of the bowl, then gently letting it fall through your fingertips as you rub it lightly together. Eventually, you'll have a bowl full of lumpy sandy stuff, which is what you're going for.
Now dump the mix back into the bowl if you used the food processor, and stir the ermilk in with a fork until the mixture is evenly moistened.
Turn the dough onto a floured countertop and press it together a bit -- you don't want to handle it more than necessary -- then use your hands to pat it out into a circle that's about three quarters of an inch thick. Use a cookie cutter, biscuit cutter, or drinking gl to cut your biscuits, laying them on the cookie sheet as you go.
When you've cut as many biscuits as you can, reemble the ss by pushing them together as best you can (if you knead them all up into a ball and then press them flat again, the biscuits start to get a bit tough, which is okay but not ideal -- they're more tender if you just kind of shove the ss together). Cut the rest of the biscuits, then bake for 15 or so minutes until they are golden brown.
Serve warm with er (and honey) and thrill your kids by sending leftover biscuits in their lunch boxes.