Good news! We just released an Android Version of txtmyt. No more Human verifications captcha! download it HERE.

A Must-Try Sardine Recipe

edited August 2015 in Food & Recipes
We Filipinos are a very big fan of sardines in a can. Aside of it giving us instant viand, the price has also been so budget-friendly (for those who stick to a specific budget like me). But sardines can be very ill-tasting sometimes and I am the type of person who prefers spanish sardines than the ones soaked in tomato sauce. They just taste too fishy. When we run out of other goods and all that's left in the storage is sardines (the green or red can), I have no choice but to take it. Of course, as a cooking enthusiast, I have been challenged by the situation to make the sardines more tasty and yummy! Surprisingly, out of an experiment, I came up to this really mouth-watering recipe that until now I still crave for from time to time. All we need is:

1 can of sardines
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves, minced garlic
2 ripe tomatoes, chopped into wedges
black peppercorn
2 tbsp. margarine
salt
3 tbsp. flour
1/2 cup sweet blend tomato ketchup
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp. brown sugar
1 sachet magic sarap
1 tbsp. soy sauce

procedure:
grind peppercorn using a mortar and pestle or a pepper grinder. I like to grind it on set of cooking to maintain a fresh aroma of pepper in my dish (spice lover here). set aside
in a small plate, mix flour, seasoning, pepper and a pinch of salt to make a breading for the sardine fish.
separate the fish meat from its sauce then cover them with the breadings. You can add bread crumbs if you want.

Heat oil in a frying pan then put in the sardine fish with breadings until golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
In the same pan, take away excess oil, then add margarine to saute the sauce.
Add garlic, wait until it becomes light brown then add the chopped onions and tomatoes into the pan. saute until golden brown. Immediately add the tomato sauce left in the can, then add the ketchup and water. Bring to a simmer then add a generous amount of magic sarap, ground pepper and sugar and soy sauce. mix until color is dark red. Remove from heat, pour sauce mix onto fried sardine fish. Garnish with chopped leaks (onion leaves).
So that's your crispy sardine fish with sweet tomato sauce. Enjoy!